February 13, 2020
Aiken's Ultimate Guide To Cockroach Prevention
Most people see cockroaches and while they get grossed out, they don’t think much of it five minutes later after they’ve killed it. This is an issue, as cockroaches can be harmful to humans. If left unchecked, a cockroach infestation can ruin not only your home’s health but your own physical health as well. Knowing how to get rid of cockroaches is an important step in keeping your home safe.
Preventing Roaches - Eliminate Food Sources
The best thing you can do to prevent cockroaches from invading your home is by making it less attractive to them. Fortunately, the measures you take to deter cockroaches will also eliminate other pests such as ants and rodents. The first defensive measure against these pests is to keep your home as clean as possible:
- Clean up leftover or unfinished food messes.
- Store you trash in a sealed container and empty it from your living space regularly.
- Keep food in your pantry in sealed containers.
- Vacuum your home regularly to reduce their food supply.
- Eliminate possible entry points from the outdoors such as cracks around window casings, spaces around pipes, and gaps under doors.
Preventing Roaches - Eliminate water sources
In spite of your best efforts to keep your home clean, cockroaches still may become a problem. Cockroaches can survive for about a month without food and thus will wait it out until a food source becomes available. However, they can only survive for about a week without water. Therefore, it’s important to eliminate their water sources as well by:
- Cleaning up pet water regularly. If you have a problem with cockroaches, consider removing water overnight as this is when roaches are most active.
- Checking for leaky pipes under the sink, around your washing machine, and in your utility room.
- Cockroaches like damp, dark areas. Check crawlspaces and basements for potential leaks.
Remember, cockroaches can fit into very small spaces and will travel through pipes to access other areas of your home. This makes getting rid of them exceptionally difficult. If you notice cockroaches in your home, the best line of defense is contacting a professional to inspect your property and come up with an extermination plan.
Problems Caused by Cockroaches
Cockroaches carry diseases and bacteria that not only get people sick but contaminate the food they touch as well. You may wonder, “What kinds of diseases can you get from cockroaches?” Cockroaches can carry very harmful diseases such as cholera, typhoid fever, dysentery, and even the plague. They can also trigger allergic reactions in some people.
How do I get rid of cockroaches in my home?
Cockroach infestations are near impossible to get rid of on your own. Exercising preventative measures is always helpful, but in the end, a professional is your best bet. They will help you determine the source of your infestation to permanently eliminate this pest. Our professionals at Aiken pest have the knowledge and experience needed to help you tackle a cockroach infestation. Tired of worrying about pests? Contact the professionals at Aiken pest today so that we can make your cockroach problem a thing of the past.