How To Keep Rodents Out Of Your Aiken Home For Good
February 27, 2023
Rodents are perhaps some of the worst kinds of pests you can encounter in your home. They are stubborn and territorial of their space and food, including yours. Not only are rodents defensive, but they also track disease-carrying parasites and spread pathogens to the surfaces of your home. Keep rodents, such as mice and rats, out of your home for good with proper pest control in Aiken.
Learn the signs of rodent damage to your Aiken home, the dangers that rodents present, and how to make your property less appealing to rodents from the reliable professionals at Aiken Pest Control.
How Can I Tell If Rodents Are Damaging My Home?
Rodents are elusive pests that are capable of staying out of sight. You likely won't see a rodent unless the infestation is large enough to give itself away. Staying diligent about signs of rodents around your home can help you interrupt the infestation before it gets worse. Luckily, rodents aren't as good at hiding their tracks as they are at hiding themselves.
A few common signs of rodent damage include:
- Gnaw marks: Rodents are constantly chewing to offset the rapid growth of their front incisors. These marks can be either smooth or rough to the eye.
- Rodent droppings around damaged goods: Clear signs include a musty urine scent and dried pellets around chewed bags or boxes of food.
- Tracks: Rodents travel along the same paths which can be visible due to the oily, greasy trail they leave behind.
- Nests: Rodents often chew through walls to use the insulation and other materials they've gathered as nesting material inside the walls. You can often hear them moving inside your walls.
- Holes: Finding chewed holes in your walls, ceilings, and floorboards is a sure sign of rodents.
Remember to stay clear of signs of rodent damage without proper safety measures. The only protection that guarantees your safety is to call a professional pest control company near you to offer effective services that's safe for you and your family.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Rodents On My Property?
Rodents can pose a harmful threat to you and your family if they remain in your home and on your property. They are highly capable of spreading numerous diseases, such as hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), tularemia, and salmonellosis by coming into contact with a rodent or its byproducts. Other conditions, like allergies and asthma, spread through the air from rodent droppings and affect children's respiratory systems.
Rodents also pose a threat to your property. On top of treating your home as a live-in bathroom, rodents will also chew through most materials in your home. Besides holes in walls and ceilings, rodents will chew through cables and wires. Gnawed wires can create dangerous circumstances that promote the risk of fire.
As with all pests, we recommend avoiding as much contact with rodents as possible. If you happen to suffer a rodent bite or scratch, seek an immediate medical evaluation for your health. For guaranteed safe removal of rodents from your Aiken home, rely on the experience and knowledge of a reputable pest control company near you.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Rodents To Your Home
There are many beneficial steps that you can take to help reduce the appeal your home offers to rodents. The more aware you are of what draws these creatures in, the more you can do to keep them out, such as:
- Inspect your property regularly for any holes, cracks, or openings in your home. Use caulk or other construction materials to seal them effectively.
- Eliminate clutter around your home, such as boxes, and your yard, such as debris and piles of leaves.
- Remove packaged foods from usual storage and use glass or metal containers for a secure seal from rodents.
- Clean any remaining crumbs and litter from tables and dining areas, both interior and exterior, to eliminate appeal.
Preventing rodents from entering your home is only half the solution. The other half requires a phone call to Aiken Pest Control for rodent removal.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Rodents Around Your Home
Getting rid of rodents in your home is a serious task that requires serious help. Aiken Pest Control has been serving South Carolina communities for more than 50 years with our pest control services. With our quality care and proven results, we can take your home back from rodents and other pests that try to invade. Contact Aiken Pest Control to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Aiken.