What To Do About Carpenter Ants On Your Aiken Property
November 10, 2021
Carpenter ants aren't the average ant you find outside your Aiken, South Carolina home, minding their own business. These ants form their colonies outside but then find their way into your home, foraging for food and water.
Carpenter ants are black ants that can grow to be about 1/2 inch long. Queen carpenter ants can grow up to one inch. They are attracted to moisture and wet wood. Carpenter ants are often found in wall voids, on siding and window screens, and other areas around the perimeter of a house.
Seeing carpenter ants around your home doesn't necessarily mean there is already an infestation. However, it is an indication that could be wise to check in with a professional to determine whether or not they have infested structural components of your home.
Problems Caused By Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants damage wood by boring through the wood. When they tunnel, they pull out bits of wood as they go, which is what you will see as small divots in your flooring.
They feed upon soft-bodied insects, including other ants and their eggs. Like other ants, they also seek out food that has been left in the open. Because of this, carpenter ants contaminate food and surfaces as well as damaging property. They are foragers and track throughout your home and kitchen looking for food to take back to their nests. They can even bite with strong mandibles but only do so when their nests are disturbed.
Carpenter Ant Prevention Tips For Your Aiken, SC Property
The type of control method needed depends on the severity of an infestation. To try and prevent or keep an infestation from spreading, take these steps:
- Store firewood at least 10 feet away from the building.
- Keep trees and hedges trimmed away from home.
- Address moisture issues. Repair roof leaks, fix plumbing leaks, and keep gutters clean.
- Ensure proper food and trash storage, and keep trash covered with tight-fitting lids.
- Seal off cracks in exterior walls, around windows, doors, siding, and any other areas around the perimeter of the house with sealant.
- Seal holes with wood filler or non-expanding foam.
- Remove dead trees and branches near your home.
- Remove or treat infested wood before it is re-infested. To do this, scrape out the soft, inner part of infested wood with a putty knife. Drip hot, soapy water on the wood, which will kill eggs and some ants.
- Remove their harborage, which is any place where carpenter ants may find refuge from predators and other insects.
Carpenter ants are bad news for property owners in Aiken and keeping them out of your home in the first place is the best bet for controlling them.
Carpenter Ant Solutions With Aiken Pest Control
Carpenter ants threaten both your health as well as the structural integrity of your building. When prevention methods fall short, it is important to take on infestations as early as possible before extensive damage has been done.
When a heavy infestation is established with multiple nests found around your Aiken, SC property, don't try to get rid of them on your own. The best solution to eliminate carpenter ants from your home or property is contacting the professionals at Aiken Pest Control. We can eliminate your existing infestation and help you prevent carpenter ants from returning. Call today to learn more about our carpenter ant control services.