April 21, 2020
Secret To Solving Moisture Issues In Your Aiken Home
Issues with moisture in the home don’t just result in water damage, mold, and mildew. They can also exacerbate the conditions that lead to pest infestations. So knowing how to identify and prevent moisture buildup in your Aiken home is an important step in pest prevention.
Watching Out For Moisture Issues
Moisture issues come in many forms, from the kind that is caused by leaky plumbing to poor ventilation to subterranean water levels rising and causing flooding. They all have different signs and byproducts, so knowing what to look for is a big part of staying on top of these issues.
No matter what form it takes, moisture issues can cause all of the following problems:
- Mold & Mildew: Once water soaks into the walls and materials that make up your home, it doesn’t take long for mold spores and mildew to take hold, spreading quickly and proving potentially hazardous to your health. Look for dark green or black spots along the walls and floors and be on the lookout for spongy wood.
- Cosmetic & Structural Damage: Even without the presence of mold, waterlogged materials aren’t ideal for structural integrity. Not only can support beams and wall panels be ruined by water, but wallpaper, paint and cosmetic components of your home can also be affected.
- Pests: Many pests like moist, dark areas and all animals need water to survive. Having areas in your home that provide these kinds of environments makes your house a beacon for pest activity.
Moisture Prevention & Control
The best way to avoid the problems that come from moisture issues is to prevent the buildup of water in the first place. Often, by the time you’ve noticed the signs of moisture damage, the problem is already too far along for comfort. There are a number of actions that responsible homeowners can take to reduce or prevent water damage and its side effects:
- Proper ventilation: Bathrooms and kitchens are areas where water vapor builds up, due to cooking and bathing. Having proper ventilation systems, including fans and vents, can curb moisture buildup in these areas, which attracts mold and pests.
- Plumbing inspection & maintenance: A burst pipe can quickly become an expensive and disastrous problem. Keeping up on your plumbing inspections and maintenance ensures that pipes are in good condition and won’t fail you as the seasons change.
- Professional solutions: Some pest control companies are experts in moisture control since this is a big attractant for pests. At Aiken, we specialize in a number of solutions that can prevent moisture problems from taking hold in the first place.
How The Professionals Can Help
The headache that comes with proper moisture control and staying on top of inspections isn’t something that homeowners should have to worry about. Thankfully, you’re not alone! The experts at Aiken Pest Control have decades of experience with residential moisture control. Our effective treatments and solutions include crawl space encapsulation. This is where one of our trained professionals will inspect the spaces where moisture buildup is most prominent. We’ll then remove existing problems like mold, treat all the wood, and seal off the entire structure with insulation and film as needed.
Encapsulation helps prevent all of the following:
- Mold & mildew
- Musty odor
- Termites & household pests
- Wood-destroying fungi
- And, of course, pest infestations
Don’t let moisture damage become an unsolvable problem by waiting until it’s too late. Contact Aiken Pest Control at the first signs of moisture buildup so we can eliminate the problem quickly and make sure it doesn’t come back. For answers to your questions, more prevention tips, or to schedule a free inspection, contact Aiken today.