The Problems With Rodent Infestations In Aiken
January 17, 2022
Rodent infestations can be a major problem in Aiken and may present serious risks to your home. If you are wondering how to get rid of rodents, read more to understand rodent behavior and the benefits of professional rodent control.
Understanding Rodent Dangers
There are two major types of rodents that may commonly invade Aiken area homes – mice and rats. Both of these rodents are small in size and highly skilled at slipping through the cracks and gaps around your house, easily setting up their nests deep in the walls, attic, basement, or crawl space.
Rats and mice are constantly gnawing, and their strong teeth can chew through just about any material, such as clothing, electrical wiring, pipes, wood, plastic, brick, and cinder block. You may find that large rodent infestations lead to significant destruction and costly repair bills thanks to the chewing, scratching, and soiling via urine and feces that these pests introduce to your home.
Rodents can pose a significant health hazard once they have infested your home. Both mice and rats can carry the following diseases, any of which you may contract by coming into direct contact with one of these pests. You can also get sick from the urine and feces that rodents leave behind, which is especially a problem with mice as their urine and feces tend to dry up and become airborne.
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis
Additionally, rodents may introduce parasites such as fleas, ticks, and mites into your house. These parasites will drop off a rodent's body and start their own infestation, leading to greater problems, which is why rodent prevention tactics and investing in professional rodent control with Aiken Pest Control is so important.
The tips below can help you keep rodents out off of your Aiken property:
- Inspect your house for potential entry points and seal up all gaps and cracks. Remember that rodents can enter incredibly small holes, so make sure you take your time with this process. You should also use a chew-proof material like steel wool or hard cement.
- Keep the grass in your yard trimmed low and regularly declutter your property. Keeping outdoor debris to a minimum will reduce the number of hiding spots for rodents.
- Make sure food waste is kept inside tightly sealed bags. You should also invest in trash cans with tight-sealing lids to prevent food odors from attracting rodents to your property in the first place.
- Fix moisture issues both inside and outside your home, as pools of water are another major attractor for rodents.
How To Get Rid Of Rodents
If you believe that you are experiencing a rodent infestation, you shouldn't try to fix this problem by yourself. Rodents can be incredibly dangerous to handle without the right equipment, and it is unlikely that any DIY removal methods you attempt will fully eliminate your pest problem.
The safest and most effective way to deal with all types of rodents that have infiltrated your house is to call in the experts at Aiken Pest Control. Our professionals can provide targeted solutions that eliminate rodents at the source and give you advice on protecting your home from future infestations so you never have to worry about rodents invading your home again.