Spiders are the pest responsible for one of the most common phobias in the world. Arachnophobes may want to avoid Aiken, South Carolina, as it is home to many different types of spiders. While the majority of spiders here are not dangerous, chances are you're not interested in sharing your home with these eight-legged creatures.
If you're looking for information on how to get rid of spiders, you've come to the right place. At Aiken Pest, we are experts in spider pest control in Aiken, and we're here to help. We will cover the different types of spiders that live here, as well as the best ways to get rid of spiders naturally. We'll also provide advice on total spider control for your home or business. Read on to learn how to keep your Aiken home spider-free.
The Types Of Spiders That Live In Aiken
Here in Aiken, we have many different kinds of spiders that like to make their homes in our yards and gardens. While most of these spiders are not dangerous, a few of them are. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the types of spiders that live here, so you can be on the lookout for them:
- House spiders: These are the most common type of spider in Aiken. These spiders are not dangerous and pose no threat to humans. House spiders are usually brown or gray and have small bodies with long legs. If you see a spider in your home that looks like this, there's no need to be alarmed.
- Jumping spiders: These spiders are not dangerous but can be a nuisance. Jumping spiders are small and dark-colored with long legs. They got their name because they can jump up to 25 times their own body length.
- Wolf spiders: These spiders are not dangerous but can be intimidating due to their size. Wolf spiders are large and brown or gray with long legs. They got their name from the fact that they hunt down their prey like wolves do.
- Southern black widow spiders: These spiders are black with a red hourglass shape on their abdomen. Southern black widow spiders are dangerous and can cause serious health problems if they bite you. If you see one of these spiders, it's best to call a pest control company for assistance.
- Northern black widow spiders: These spiders don't have the distinctive red hourglass shape on their abdomen, but instead have patch-like red markings on their back. Like southern black widows, northern black widows are dangerous and can cause serious health problems with their bites. If you see one of these spiders, don't attempt to remove it yourself. Call a professional for assistance.
- Brown widow spiders: These spiders are not native to Aiken, and arrived in the 1990s. Brown widow spiders are light to medium brown with a yellow or orange hourglass shape on their abdomen, along with white stripes and spots on their body. Brown widow spiders are not as dangerous as black widows, but their bites can still cause health problems.
- Brown recluse spiders: Brown recluse spiders are light brown with a dark brown violin shape on their back. They got their name because they're shy and reclusive, and like to hide in dark places. Brown recluse spiders also have dangerous bites, and if you see one it's best to call a professional for assistance.
While most spiders are not dangerous, you should keep an eye out for the ones that are. If you see a spider that you're not sure about, it's always best to call a pest control company for assistance.
At Aiken Pest, we are experts in spider pest control. We can help you identify the Aiken spiders in your home and get rid of them quickly and safely. Contact us today for more information.
House Spiders Are Rarely Dangerous
As we mentioned above, most spiders are not dangerous. House spiders in Aiken will not hurt you unless they are provoked, and they are actually an important part of the ecosystem due to the number of insects they eat. If you see a house spider in your home, there's no need to be alarmed. What's more, they are not known to spread diseases like some other pests. However, that doesn't mean you want to start inviting them inside. There are still several other issues that spiders can cause in your home when they invade in large numbers:
- They can be a nuisance. No one wants to share their home with spiders. They can be creepy and crawly, and some people are even afraid of them. If you have guests over, the last thing you want is for them to see a spider in your home.
- They can lead to other problems. Spiders can be a sign that there are other pests in your home, as they often eat insects. This means that if you have spiders, you may also have other unwanted guests, like ants or cockroaches.
- Some people are allergic to spider bites. While most spider bites are not dangerous, they can cause an allergic reaction in some people. If you are bitten by a spider and have any symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as swelling, redness, or difficulty breathing, you should see a doctor right away.
Let's face it, no one wants spiders in their home. While house spiders may not be the most dangerous pests, they can still cause problems. If you have an excess of spiders in your home, the best thing to do is call a pest control company for assistance in getting rid of them.
Aiken Pest can help you get rid of spiders in your home quickly and safely. We have more than 50 years of industry experience, and we will be able to get rid of the spiders in your house for good. Call us today to learn more or to request a free quote.
Natural Ways To Repel Spiders In Aiken
You want to keep spiders away, but you don't want to use harmful products in your home. Luckily, there are several ways to get rid of spiders naturally. Here are a few of the best:
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free. Spiders like to hide in dark, damp places. If you declutter your home and keep it clean, you'll make it less inviting for spiders. Be sure to vacuum and dust regularly, and don't forget to clean under your furniture and in other hard-to-reach places.
- Keep your yard clean. Spiders often live outdoors and can make their way into your home if you have an open door or window. To prevent this, keep your yard clean and free of debris, trim your lawn regularly, and remove any piles of leaves or wood.
- Use essential oils. Some essential oils, like peppermint and citrus, can help keep spiders away. Just add a few drops to a diffuser or spray bottle with water and mist around your home.
- Keep doors and windows closed. This one is pretty self-explanatory. If you want to keep spiders out, you need to keep your doors and windows closed as much as possible.
- Make a spider repellent. You can also make your own spider repellent with ingredients like vinegar, water, and essential oils. Just mix everything together in a spray bottle and mist around your home.
- Seal up any cracks or openings. Spiders can enter your home through small cracks and openings. Inspect your home for any potential entry points and seal them up with caulk or weatherstripping.
- Remove webs and egg sacs. If you see a spider web or egg sac, be sure to remove it. This will help prevent more spiders from moving into your home.
- Remove their food source. If you have other insects in your home, they can attract spiders. To help prevent this, be sure to keep your home clean and free of food sources for insects. Professional pest control can also help get rid of any existing insect problems.
If you're having trouble with spiders in your home, contact Aiken Pest. We're your local pest control pros, and we can help you get rid of all spiders quickly and safely. Give us a call today to learn more.
Total Spider Control For Your Home Or Business
If you're looking for complete spider control in Aiken for your home or business, Aiken Pest can help. We're an independently owned and operated pest control company with more than 50 years of experience keeping homes and businesses free of pests.
We're experts in spider pest control and can help you get rid of spiders quickly and safely. We offer a variety of services, including monthly service plans, one-time treatments, and more. Our home pest control plan is designed to protect your home from more than 30 common pests, including spiders and the insects that attract them.
For businesses, we offer a comprehensive pest management program that is designed to keep your business free of pests year-round. Our program includes regular inspections, treatments, and more. We also offer a variety of other services, like termite control, bed bug control, and more.
If you're ready to get rid of spiders for good, contact Aiken Pest today. We'll be happy to answer any of your questions about our residential and commercial pest control services in Aiken, and help you find the right solution for your needs. Give us a call to learn more or to request a free quote. We look forward to hearing from you.