Having A Hard Time Dealing With Rats Around Your Aiken Property?
January 30, 2023
Rats are one of the worst household pests. That is because they can damage your home and carry different types of pathogens that cause diseases. If there is a rat infestation on your property and you want to reclaim your home, the best way to go about it is to hire specialists in pest control in Aiken from Aiken Pest Control. Our team has helped thousands of homeowners in South Carolina with solutions for pest control for rats. This article will share tips on spotting rats, the problems they bring, and the best solutions to get rid of rats at home. Let's begin.
How To Tell If It's Rats Infesting Your Home
Some of the tell-tale signs that you are dealing with rat infestation include:
- Scampering noises: Rats are nocturnal creatures that often create scratching sounds as they run along floors and inside walls.
- Rat nests: Rats build their nests indoors using strings, shredded paper, and other pliable materials. Rats such as Norway rats that nest outdoors burrow deep in the ground, while roof rats nest on trees, in attics, or in dense vegetation.
- Urine odors: Rat's urine has a strong musky smell. The smell will be highly concentrated and easy to notice if you have a large infestation.
- Droppings: Rat droppings are a clear sign of the presence of rats. A professional in rat control will look at the droppings and determine the type of rodent, the infestation level, and their most active areas.
- Rub and gnaw marks: When rats travel inside walls, they often leave oily rub marks and gnaw marks. If the rub marks can be smeared, they are fresh, and if you find a quarter-inch tooth mark, that's typical of rats.
- Rodent runways: Some common rat pathways include building foundations, interior walls, electrical wires, tree branches, and conduits.
- Unusual pet behavior: Pets change their behavior when they smell or hear rats in the house. If they begin pawing under the fridge, sofa, stove, and furniture, it may be a sign of the presence of rats.
If you see any of these signs but are unsure of the level of a rat infestation in your house, hire professionals to conduct a comprehensive inspection.
The Many Dangers Of Having Rats In Your Home
Like any other rodent, rats constantly gnaw through electrical wires, furniture, insulation, and storage material. Below, we will see the many dangers rats can bring to your home.
Rats contaminate and waste food: Rats are masters in making their way into stored foods in your house. Rats have an incredible smell that can sniff out the exact location of food through containers, doors, and even walls. Rats will get into your house because of the smell of food they are following.
Rats can be a health hazard: Rats are unsanitary pests but rarely transmit diseases when you contact them in your home. You will only contract a disease after contacting rat byproducts like fur, feces, or urine.
Rats are a fire hazard: Rats can chew on electrical wiring, causing short circuits to create fire.
Rats cause structural damage: When rats access your house, they chew through walls, destroying insulation and dislodging weather-proofing products. Rats will also gnaw on fabric, plastic, and paper while ruining paper products.
Rats cause a lot of damage to properties, and an infestation can increase the damage rate by many factors. So, if you are looking for the best way to get rid of rats in the house, call Aiken Pest Control.
Factors That Attract Rats To Your Property
Two primary things attract rats to your property: food and shelter. These two factors become more relevant during winter because it's usually very cold with few available food sources. So, if they find these two factors in your home, you will most likely encounter rats. Other factors attracting rats to your home include water sources, bird feeders, fruit trees, open bins, leaves, and logs.
The Solution To Total Rat Control For Your Home
If you have seen signs of rats or seen them crossing your kitchen, the right course of action is to engage a professional pest control company like Aiken Pest Control. It's important to get rid of rats because they bring several diseases. At Aiken Pest Control, we have veteran pest specialists that use the most effective tools and skills to restore order to your Aiken home.
Rats are disease-carrying and property-damaging pests that leave behind odors and gnaw marks when they traffic inside your house. An infestation of rats can not only cause health hazards and structural damage but can also cause fire hazards. At Aiken Pest Control, we are the best team in home pest control. So, if you are wondering how to get rid of rats in your yard or indoors, give us a shout, and let's make your home rat-free.