Debunking Common Myths About Earwigs In Aiken
November 20, 2022
Since the beginning of time, earwigs have been the center of many myths, legends, and general folklore. In medieval times, it was believed that earwigs would crawl into your ear canal, lay their eggs, and bore into the unfortunate person’s brain. Fortunately, none of that is true; however, these pests are a nuisance to have in your home and are one of the many reasons people seek professional pest control in Aiken. Read on to learn more about the earwig bug and how Aiken Pest Control can keep them out of your home once and for all.
What Do Earwigs In Aiken Look Like?
Despite being a perfectly harmless pest, the earwig is definitely one of the creepier-looking pests. Below are some of the defining characteristics of these insects to help you identify the pest in your home:
- Size: Earwigs are rather tiny, usually only growing between 1/5 of an inch up to two inches long.
- Color: These are dark-colored insects, ranging from brown to black, and sometimes a mix between the two.
- Body shape: Earwigs have flat bodies that tend to be rather slender.
- Wings: Both male and female earwigs have wings that can fold tightly to the sides of their bodies.
- Differences between males and females: Males will have two curved, pointy-looking appendages on their backend, while females have a singular pointed appendage.
The professionals at Aiken Pest Control have more than 50 years of experience identifying earwig infestations in Aiken homes. If you aren’t sure what kind of pest you’re dealing with, give us a call for help today.
What Attracts Earwigs To Your Home
If you want to get rid of earwigs, you have to know what attracts them to your home in the first place. The top reason earwigs are invading your home is because there is access to food. They are omnivores, so they will eat your plants and other insects that are present. They also are huge fans of moisture and humidity, so leaky pipes and faucets are also very attractive to these pests. If you aren’t sure what is causing these pests to invade your home, give the experts at Aiken Pest Control a call today.
Six Myths About Earwigs
There are lots of myths surrounding these creepy-looking pests. Below are six common myths about earwigs, debunked:
- Myth: They will eat your brain. Earwigs will not lay eggs in your ear canal and bore into your brain.
- Myth: They only eat other bugs. They are omnivores, and will also chew on your house plants and destroy your garden and lawn as well.
- Myth: They are dangerous to humans. Even though they won’t eat your brain, this doesn’t mean they still are potentially harmful. Earwigs actually have zero interest in humans.
- Myth: They seek out dry conditions. Earwigs invade homes typically so they can ride out dry conditions and weather, and search your home for moisture-ridden places.
- Myth: They only invade your yard. While they can cause a lot of problems in your yard, earwigs will also usually find their way indoors once they have set up shop in your yard.
- Myth: Earwigs only invade bathrooms. While bathrooms are popular places for earwigs to invade, they will show up anywhere in the home where moisture and humidity are present, including kitchens, laundry rooms, and basements.
The team at Aiken Pest Control can help you better understand these pests and keep them out of your home and yard. Give us a call to get started today.
How To Keep Your Aiken Home Earwig Free
If you are looking to keep these pests out of your home and yard, the professionals at Aiken Pest Control can help you today. With more than 50 years of experience providing affordable, convenient, and fully guaranteed pest control services, we are confident in our ability to permanently eliminate your earwig infestation. Give us a call for help today.